This material chronicles the attempts by Saint Louis University to secure a chapter of the national honor society, Phi Beta Kappa. The first mention of the University's intention appears in the minutes of the Board of Trustees under the date May 10, 1938. Reports on the University were sent to the national organization in 1941, 1953, and 1965. Success finally came in 1967, and the chapter was installed in January, 1968. The collection is organized into four series: 1. Applications; 2. Correspondence and Miscellaneous; 3. Installation and Initiations; 4. Reports.