ArchivesSpace Public Interface

Saint Louis University Department of History. Edit

Summary

Agent Type
Person

Dates

  • 1928- (Existence)

Name Forms

  • Saint Louis University Department of History.

Notes

  • Biography/Historical Note

    During these years the Department, and indeed the University as a whole, experienced a drive to revise curricula and programs and to develop academic plans. Interdisciplinary programs such as American studies, peace studies, and Russian and East European studies appeared as new fields of study. The Department underwent a series of reviews--a self-study, and internal and external investigations--in 1979.

    One major initiative pursued by the Department in 1975 and 1976 was an alumni survey intended to furnish information for the development of an office of career advising for history majors. This project was funded by a Lilly Foundation COVE grant.

    The Department hosted or otherwise supported several professional conferences in St. Louis during this time: the American Catholic Historical Association (ACHA) in 1974 and 1982; the North American Vexillological Association (NAVA) in 1980; the Economic History Association (EHA) in 1981; and "Problems of Urban Development in Latin America" (PUDLA) in 1982.

    The year 1971 saw the departure of longtime Chairman John Francis Bannon, S.J, who had held the position for 28 years.